[c-nsp] 12.2(18)SXD to 12.2(33)SRB|C|D

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Sep 14 16:39:53 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:16:06AM -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> As I look through the release notes, I thought I'd also ask here to
> see if anyone here has experience upgrading between these two versions
> on a 7600.  Any major gotchas?  Our box is pretty vanilla:  HA/SSO,
> VLANs, BGP4, per-port MTU, trust DSCP, LACP, OSPF, EIGRP, IPv4 only.
>
> We're upgrading because we need hardware support for an ES20-GE3CXL
> for future use as an EVC termination point and RSVP based [M|V]PLS.
> Minimum requirements for the hardware is SRB, but seeing as how we are
> now at SRD do folks have some advice about the usability of some of
> the newer SR trains in conjunction with some of the aforementioned
> features?

SXD to SRD? That is a pretty major upgrade (and then some), and I've
seen nasty upgrade bugs with far far FAR smaller transitions. All I can
say is, do NOT attempt this without out of band.

Personally my recommendation for going forward is SRC (SRC4 is pretty
stable, all things considered). I haven't rechecked SRD recently, but
the early versions added some pretty serious bugs that weren't in SRC of
the same time-frame, and I can't find any compelling features which
necessitate the risk. There are also quite a few large networks who are
running large deployments of SRC, and it never hurts to have mass on
your side.