[c-nsp] Smartnet pricing?

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Tue Sep 29 16:01:54 EDT 2009

On 29/09/2009 19:20, e ninja wrote:
> No it is not right.
>
>     1. Anybody that has paid for software, should *never* have to pay for bug
>     fixes. See http://resources.multiven.com/dossier-3

That is an interesting wish-list.  Have you considered what it would do to
the price of software if vendors were made liable?  I can't imagine the
insurance premiums, and the gratuitous law suits.  Worse still, open source
would be killed by it.  I know that if I were to be held liable, I wouldn't
ever release anything or contribute anything to open source software.

>     2. Forcing people to pay for a service they haven't used is
> extortion<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion>- a criminal act -
> seek legal counsel

Legal counsel would probably argue that if you left your support
subscription lapse and then attempted to renew it several years later, that
the reason for doing so was because of some failure outside the
manufacturer's control, and that you were pulling a fast one.

I'm not a lawyer.  Are you?

Nick