[c-nsp] CAT6509 module position in chassis

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 11:36:57 EDT 2010

We ran into one issue when the 10G 6708 module in slot 1 of C6509-E
was shutting down due to high temperature. The Cisco suggestion was to
put it into a free slot somewhere in the middle between the Sup
(module 5) and module 1 as it supposedly has a better air flow. We
replugged it into slot3 which magically solved the issue.

I created these C6509-E rules for myself:
- if possible always make at least one slot free space between modules
for better air flow
- put the "higher throughput cards having > 60 degrees Celsius" (like
6708) more in the middle part
- in case of issues the air flow is left to right so try to find out
whether there is nothing blocking/circulating the air flow

-pavel