[c-nsp] Renumbering serial interfaces

Ryan Lambert thirdfrl.nsp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:35:21 EST 2010

You can renumber serial links with one person. Standard disclaimer of paying
attention to detail, being careful, etc.

If you can tolerate a few minutes downtime worst-case (which, I'm making the
assumption this is being done in a window that can), you can also use the
'reload in x' command, where x = minutes. If you botch it and cannot get
back in, the device will reload with the saved startup configuration (ie:
not with your most current changes). You can roll back the near side and be
back up. If all changes are successful, don't forget to reload cancel and
write your changes.

Obviously there are some other things you probably need to consider like
routing protocol adjacencies, or static default routes... so telnet/ssh'ing
in from a directly connected interface may be necessary depending on the
setup.

The only time something like this is a bit more tricky is when multiple
changes are required (encapsulation, etc.)

HTH,
-Ryan