[c-nsp] compact flash modules for Sup720-3bxl..

Dan Holme dan.holme at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:05:02 EST 2010

Peter

Unfortunately you can't just use any flash card in the 6500/7600.
Theoretically all that is required is a standard ATA CF but I have
found that not all work.

You can find more info on the CF card like so "show disk0: filesys"

I have only had good experiences with:
ATA CARD GEOMETRY
   Manufacturer Name      SanDisk

..but I am sure there are others that work okay.

Here is an example of one that I can read but am unable to boot from:
ATA CARD GEOMETRY
   Manufacturer Name      Vendor
   Model Number           CF Card

As you can see I've had mixed experiences with different card types,
if somebody can be sure how to tell which cards will work and which
won't then that info would be useful.

--Dan

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Peter Kranz <pkranz at unwiredltd.com> wrote:
> I have some CF 1 GB modules that are recognized on insert:
>

> Feb 25 10:45:11.034 PST: %FILESYS-SP-5-DEV: PCMCIA flash card inserted into
> disk0
>

> But won't format:
>

> xxx#format disk0:
>
> Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]y
>
> Format operation will destroy all data in "disk0:".  Continue? [confirm]y
>
> %Error formatting disk0 (No such device)
>

> This is not cisco branded CF, but in the past I've had good luck with a
> variety of other manuf. CF cards. Any hints on how to make sure the CF card
> I purchase is going to be compatible?
>

> Peter Kranz
>
> Founder/CEO - Unwired Ltd
>
>  <http://www.unwiredltd.com/> www.UnwiredLtd.com