[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Fri Jan 29 16:30:24 EST 2010

On 29/01/2010 19:16, chris at lavin-llc.com wrote:
> I'm curious why you suggest that the NX-OS is very young. My understanding
> (I'm not a SAN guy) is that the NX-OS is just a move of bringing the MDS
> OS into a routing/switching combination with IOS.

I should have been more careful what I said there.  Yes, san-os 4.1 was
released as nx-os 4.1. However, san-os has been extended by quite a
substantial amount in the last couple of years, and there is a lot of new
code in the os relating to L3 stuff in particular.  The basic SAN code is
very mature, but the original poster was interested in the nexus boxes as
ethernet switches rather than san switches.

Nick