[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Sun Jan 31 18:25:25 EST 2010

On 29/01/2010, at 6:54 AM, Livio Zanol Puppim wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me the advantages of using Nexus 2000 over Catalyst
> 4948 as access layers switches?
> Using Nexus 2000, I have to use at least 2 ports at my Nexus 5000, that
> could be used by servers with 10GbE/FCoE servers.

The N2K does no local switching so if you have any east-west traffic between ports on the same switch you'll be better served by a more "traditional" access switch.  Naturally the N2K offers centralised management etc etc but that may or may not be of interest depending on the size of your deployment.

David