[c-nsp] bandwidth statement on interface to match shaped value?

Roger Wiklund roger.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 12:14:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

That is what everyone is telling me. That its just for routing protocols.
However, page 12 in the Cisco QoS book tells me this:

"Some QoS tools refer to interface bandwidth, which is defined with the
bandwidth command.
Engineers should consider bandwidth defaults when enabling QoS features. On
serial interface on Cisco routers, the default bandwidth setting is T1 speed
- regardless of the actual bandwidth."

page 302:

"CBWFQ provides several variations of how to configure the bandwidth
reserved for each queue. For instance, the bandwidth 64 class subcommand
reserves 64kbps of bandwidth, regardless of the bandwidth setting on
interface. The Bandwidth percent 25 class subcommand would also reserve 64
kbps for a class if the interface bandwidth had been set to 256kbps, using
the bandwidth 256 interface subcommand."

>From that is seems crystal clear the the bandwidth statement on the
interface IS used for QoS. And this back to my question, should I set the
bandwidth on the Interface to match the shaped value?

Thanks!