[c-nsp] smaller PI

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 30 12:54:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Gert Doering wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 09:57:47AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
>> Does RIPE really expect everyone to accept BGP routes as long as /29?
>
> RIPE doesn't expect anyone to accept anything.  RIPE deals in addresses,
> not in routing.

Yeah...I mentioned in my previous message that the RIRs only guarantee
uniqueness of the numbers they assing...not routability on the public
internet.

> (Yes, this sounds a bit academic - but there is a point to it: what if
> the operator community decides next year that /24s are evil, and only
> /23s are to be accepted?  Does this mean that RIPE will have to upgrade
> all existing PI blocks to /23s?)

Have to?  Maybe not...but I bet they'd get flooded with requests.  The
RIRs can't guarantee general routability, but it seems disingenuous of
them to assign a /27 to a multihomed network when it's well known that a
/27 won't work for them...unless they only plan to use that /27 internally
and use PA space for their BGP announced route.