[c-nsp] smaller PI

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jun 30 13:02:46 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:54:49PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> >(Yes, this sounds a bit academic - but there is a point to it: what if
> >the operator community decides next year that /24s are evil, and only
> >/23s are to be accepted?  Does this mean that RIPE will have to upgrade
> >all existing PI blocks to /23s?)
>
> Have to?  Maybe not...but I bet they'd get flooded with requests.  The
> RIRs can't guarantee general routability, but it seems disingenuous of
> them to assign a /27 to a multihomed network when it's well known that a
> /27 won't work for them...unless they only plan to use that /27 internally
> and use PA space for their BGP announced route.

Well, the current RIPE policies state "you get the number of addresses
that you need to number your devices" (without that specific wording).

It specifically doesn't say "if you have special technical needs, we'll
graciously round up the numbers to 32+ times the number of machines that
you have" (/29 -> /24).

Of course this is because the same rules apply to PA and to PI holders - and
we've told PA holders since 10+ years "no, if you only have 5 machines,
I am not going to give you a 'Class C', here's a /29, and that's all you're
gonna get!".  So changing these rules for PI "/24 for free, just say the
magic word!" is frowned-upon by many in the community...

But in the end, IPv4 just sucks, and I'm happy when it's finally used up.

IPv6 PI is a /48, no matter how big or small the company, so RIPE can
nicely keep out of the "we can't give you what you want, so you lie to
us, and get it anyway" mess.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de