[c-nsp] Huawei instead of Cisco

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu May 13 06:32:26 EDT 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010 05:33:23 pm Gert Doering wrote:

> What about the CPE side?  We have been offered Huawei
>  devices to be used as G.SHDSL.bis termination devices
>  (on the CPE side), and they look quite interesting - a
>  Cisco 1841 with a SHDSL-WIC would also work, of course,
>  but the WIC is just too expensive for a CPE...
>
> (We have not yet received the boxes, so I couldn't test
>  'em yet)

Huawei's a bag of mixed feelings if you go around all their
platforms.

I know GSM/3G engineers who swear by them, and a few
DWDM/SONET/SDH experts that are 50/50. While some IP
engineers are polarized altogether.

It really all depends on if your application is IP or telco.
As an IP engineer, reiterating what Pshem said, they are
just not yet mature.

We've used some of their kit for GPON access, those just
work with no major drama. But then again, feature
requirements aren't that major there compared to an IP/MPLS
core backbone.

Mark.