[c-nsp] Huawei instead of Cisco

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu May 13 09:30:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Mark Tinka wrote:

> As an IP engineer, reiterating what Pshem said, they are just not yet
> mature.

My take on this:

Huawei wants to win RFQ:s. Anything people usually put in their RFQs,
Huawei will most likely have. If it's usually not in RFQs, it's quite
likely it's not in there or it doesn't work very well.

People don't RFQ "working" CLI, so with Huawei ctrl-a and cltr-e doesn't
work (windows keys home/end works though). Do you want to paste a lot of
lines into the CLI? Forget it, Huawei employs a mechanism that overflows
when there are more than 25 lines in the buffer it reads off of the TCP
socket. It doesn't stop reading and let TCP buffer, it just overflows and
throws away characters. When you say this is bad, the "solution" you get
back is to emply line paste pause in your "terminal program" (when you're
in an xterm this is kind of hard to do).

My guess is that Huawei sells a lot of turn-key solutions where people who
run it are fairly fresh out of school and educated only on Huawei gear and
with very little unix experience, so they don't lack what a lot of
other network engineers with Unix backgrounds find lacking in their gear.

This also explains why the transmission/telephony/mobile people like their
gear as well, because they usually work in GUI and not in CLI. Their
interaction with the gear is usually so lacking I want to cry when I see
it, but they're used to even worse so they're still happy.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se