[c-nsp] Feedback on upcoming removal of FTP access to secured software

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 18:38:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

> But: He says that even when AS performs the IBLM, we still have to pay.
> We can get a refund when purchasing new equipment later, but still have
> to pay up front.

given that the IBLM is nothing more than a method by which
service partners can gain "excellent visibility into your customer network"
and "initiate deeper and broader customer conversations" - I'm quoting cisco
here - its not do do with them caring about you...its to do with them
getting you to buy more stuff.

now, given that a lot of their competitors are able to put all the features
onto much older kit...but everytime you want a new feature you have to buy
new kit...we'll its making peers in this community think about the future
and what they might buy next time.

also, to charge for this?   hello? theres plenty of free tools out there
that can make an inventory of a companies network...given enough information
and seeding. most of these tools are now available as virtual images to make
the task a little easier too.

alan