[c-nsp] does duplex mismatch affect UDP throughput?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Aug 2 11:01:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:16:41AM -0400, Scott Granados wrote:
[..]
> the far end is negotiated to full.  Never had any issues though after hard
> setting both sides so it just became a matter of habbit.  Maybe its
> something I should revisit.

Revisit :-)

Nowadays, more vendors have problems with hard settings "not quite working"
(because that code doesn't get tested so well, I'd assume) than in the
last century.

The notable exception being the Cisco 7200 (single-port) FastEthernet
modules (PA and IO-board).  Those can not do autoneg at all, and need
their counterpart to be hard set.

Vendor problems aside, the problems with hard setting is not so much
"things not working as set up" (that usually works) but "things get
replaced".  So, for example, a device breaks, gets replaced by a
new one, and the person doing the replacement forgets to set the
ethernet port to "hard set".  Been there, seen that, and *these*
problems are much more frequent these days than "just set all ends to
autoneg".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de