[c-nsp] Opinions about the next 6500/7600

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 5 07:32:21 EST 2011

On Friday, February 04, 2011 09:12:14 pm Drew Weaver wrote:

> What new platform from Cisco or whomever do you think is,
> or will become the "next 6500/7600" in terms of how many
> companies are going to use them, performance, cost,
> density? I don't have any hard numbers to back this up
> (aside from earnings numbers from Cisco) but I'm
> guessing the number of Nexus 7000s replacing 6500s has
> been pretty disappointing to Cisco.
>
> So is the 6500 = Nexus 7000 and the 7600 = ASR 9K or does
> the flow chart skew?

I think for many applications where the 6500 and 7600 have
been used for peering and core, the ASR1000 will be an
obvious choice here. The issue will just be how much
capacity the ASR1000's can support. We're now at an ESP40
and a faster SIP is coming out too, so it's only going up.

In the edge, where the port density of the 6500 and 7600 has
been popular, the ASR9010 will likely be the way forward for
routing applications, while the Nexus 7000 the option for
data centre deployments.

For pure Layer 2 aggregation, whether in the core or access,
I suspect the 6500 will be around yet. I think Juniper's
EX8200 would be a huge competitor here as it's fairly newer
(although with its own set of problems). I'm not sure about
the Nexus 7000 becoming as popular as the 6500 re: Layer 2
aggregation, but I could certainly be wrong.

Cheers,

Mark.