[c-nsp] Opinions about the next 6500/7600

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 5 07:35:43 EST 2011

On Saturday, February 05, 2011 12:22:39 am Mack McBride
wrote:

> The most comparable for the 7600 is the ASR 9K but the
> cost differential is significant.

Not necessarily. There have been very interesting bundles
where a highly-available ASR9000 is cheaper than a 7600 with
an RSP720-3CXL + ES line cards.

I guess it's just the same deals you get on CRS's being
better-priced than the XR12000's.

> The Nexus 7000 is supposed to replace the 6500 for an
> aggregation switch but the cost and other issues (bugs
> and lack of XL card) has slowed adoption. The other
> issues are getting sorted out which should help the 7K.
> Cisco seems committed to the 6500 as a services
> platform. So it is likely to be around for a long time.

We probably would consider a Nexus 7000 as a replacement for
core Layer 2 Ethernet switching in our network, but if I had
to think about it generally, the Nexus, for one reason or
another, doesn't seem like such an obvious upgrade path
here.

Cheers,

Mark.