[c-nsp] Catalyst reloads (was Re: Is Cisco equpiment de facto for?you?

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Tue Jan 11 15:44:36 EST 2011

Jeff Kell <jeff-kell at utc.edu> wrote:

> On 1/11/2011 11:29 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>> The cisco-nsp mailing list is often much more helpful than TAC.
>
> On that note... does this ring any bells?
>
> Have a 3750E that has had spurious reloads (4 since Friday), was
> switch-1 of a 3-member stack, initially was the master, now switch-2 has
> taken over as master.   Show version on the failing one just shows
>
>> FunnyFarm-1 uptime is 17 hours, 48 minutes
>> System returned to ROM by power-on
>
> The other members have 23-week uptimes.
>
> There's no crashinfo in the logs, no "software forced reload" type
> reload events.
>
> TAC insists power was cut to the switch (four times?).

Weekly at roughly 4:30am we regularly saw power cycling of a bunch of
kit (including a 3750E stack) reoccurring, often to the minute, for
one[1] of our "considerably less than average" server rooms.

We put it down to brown-out's on a circuit caused by a timer asking
for hell to be stoked so that the building has a chance to warm up.

Simple text is to slap something else on the same circuit and see if
that loses power too...make sure it is picky about getting it's
$LOCAL_VOLTAGE and $WANTED_AMPERAGE (or put the stack member on a
portable UPS).  If that dies, you know your power feed is dodgy, if it
stays up, you might have a borked/loose/taught cable.

Cheers

[1] that's a lie, they all are "considerably less than average"

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Do not drink and drive.