[c-nsp] Configuring Syslog for Cisco

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Jan 24 10:51:37 EST 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Jeff Wojciechowski wrote:

> PS you *may* not want to "capture as much information as possible". I
> would imagine if you syslogged a 'debug all' that neither your syslog
> source nor destination would be too happy.

Yes - debugging, especially something very chatty, will likely make your
device's CPU very unhappy, in addition to generating a large amount of
traffic to your syslog host.  If you use syslog as a means to get alerts
into a network monitoring system for your NOC, debug can make your NMS
(and, consequently, your NOC) very unhappy too....

Debugging should be used with great care, and as narrowly scoped (turn on
only the debugging you need, only for as long as you need it) as possible.

jms