[c-nsp] Advice: Which routers to purchase ?

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Thu Jan 27 11:42:13 EST 2011

Hi David,

On 27/01/2011, at 5:29 PM, Dovid Bender wrote:

> 1) I do not know much about Cisco. I assumed that if one router failed then the second one would do the BGP.
> 2) We have an AS and I was told that we would need to BGP to advertise our IP's. We also need to do it so we are ISP independent and can decide who to work with.

I would recommend using BGP in such a circumstance

> 3) What other information would you need ? Like I said I am a bit of n00b here.

Budget and Network Plans.

Personally, I would suggest getting some external consulting - perhaps one of your providers can provide this.

Depending on how you do your load balancing, you may not require full feeds. The hardware you will be looking at will probably be a pair of ASR1001s

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9343/prod_models_comparison.html

or a Cisco 3900s

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10536/prod_series_comparison.html

But all this depends very much on your network plan.

Regards

Andrew