[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

David webnetwiz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:01:35 EST 2011

I'll agree that folks certainly don't follow the BGP-advertisement
best-practices, but some of the stuff you see in IPv6 advertisements today
are still folks experimenting with the protocol. ISPs themselves need to
police this in regards to how they allow their customers to peer with them,
and have stringent requirements for the advertisements they receive from the
customers. Most Tier1 SPs in the US do that already, and the smaller guys
need to follow suit. Majority of people polluting the table are operating
networks outside of the US. And such productive discussions about the state
of the global table, and what needs to be done, etc. are good to have at
places like NANOG, but customers have needs today and budgets are still
tight, and that's one of the reasons enterprises hold off on deploying or
thinking about IPv6 (a bad practice for sure). But again I come back to the
original goal of the post, two IPv4 sessions, no IPv6 (at least yet). The
poster isn't interested in the state of what's going on with the Internet at
large, rather what piece of equipment to use to solve this particular
technical requirement. I am interested in what you think is the proper piece
of equipment that best fits here.

David.