[c-nsp] latency measurement equipment

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Mon Jun 6 11:17:19 EDT 2011

OK, somewhat off track from regular topics.

I am looking to build/assemble/buy some high-accuracy
testing/measurement equipment for network kit.

Essentially, I want to be able to generate traffic, and test/verify
latency of network kit, a chain of network kit, or some configuration
thereof.

It might be nice to be able to use it to generate pcap data to look at
separately to analyze application data going to/from servers, but that's
a phase 2 idea at best and would most likely involve putting taps in
lines and pulling data to a central box and comparing that way;
something that could timestamp-tag packets going by for later
measurement would be really cool for that. However, I sense that this is
a totally different type of product than what I mention above.

I shouldn't need over 8 gigabit ports, or 4 10G ports.

I'm assuming this will cost me somewhere between 20k-30k.

So far what I see is the old trusty SmartBits stuff (which is difficult
to decipher from the web page as to what's what and what you'd need) and
Ixia. Anyone else in this sector to look at? Experiences from the peanut
gallery?

Helpful posters may be allowed to play with the equipment when
installed. :)

Thanks,
-bacon

---
Jeff Bacon
CTO, Walleye Trading Advisors/Walleye Software LLC
p.763-489-1690/m.917-587-6624/bacon at walleyesoftware.com