[c-nsp] Multicast support in single vrf

John Elliot johnelliot67 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:54:58 EST 2011

We have a client wanting us to support multicast across our network(They have multiple tails in single vrf, connected to our P/PE's(All 7200's)

(Customer is running there own RP)

As we are only provding multicast support to a single customer, On our P/PE routers is it still necessary to enable multicast routing globally, MP-BGP Loop Interfaces and tag-switching/mpls interfaces? (I'm guessing it would be as the client has tails terminating on multiple P/PE's?)

Client is running sparse-mode on all there CE Ints - So assume we will need to?(Or are there any benefits in us running sparse-dense mode)?

Loop0 is MP-BGP loop
ip multicast-routing

interface Loopback0
ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.255
ip pim sparse-mode

interface FastEth2/0
ip address 10.1.1.13 255.255.255.252
ip pim sparse-mode
tag-switching ip

ip multicast-routing vrf NetworkA
ip vrf NetworkA
rd 100:1
route-target export 100:1
route-target import 100:1
mdt default 239.100.100.1

interface Ethernet0/0.99
description connection to customer A, site 1
encapsualtion dot1q 99
ip vrf forwarding NetworkA
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-mode

Client also has a number of dsl tails in this vrf(P/PE's are also LNS's) - Would a cisco-avpair reply attribute in radius for specific users like this be sufficient?

cisco-avpair="lcp:interface-config=ip pim sparse-mode"

Also, should we expect any noticable load increase on our core from enabling this?(And are there any "best-practice" security policies we should be implementing for multicast?)

Thanks in advance.