[c-nsp] Cisco 7304-NSE-100 used as a border BGP router

puck-nsp at interworld.net puck-nsp at interworld.net
Wed Oct 5 02:21:19 EDT 2011

I have a customer who wishes to be multi-homed with us and another Service Provider  and wishes to have 2 full views.  We proposed a Cisco 7206VXR-NPE-G1 with 1Gb/256 and the other vendor (a small ISP) provided him with a 7304-NSE-100 and a SPA2-1Gb card as a solution.  He has 1Gb with 100Mb commit Metro-E from both providers.  Surprisingly, I had never seen a 7304 before used for anything but MPLS tunnel termination. When I looked it up on the Cisco router performance chart is shows the NSE-100 about 3 times the performance of the NPE-G1 but uses PXF instead of just plain old CEF.

Questions:

1.	 What is PXF in comparison to normal CEF?
2.	Will this router be able to route 500Mb/sec while processing BGP tables?
3.	Is there something special about this 7304 that I am missing?
4.	Is the 7304 ok with IPv6 and IPv6 BGP?
5.	Is this a good choice for a customer router?

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Ralph