[c-nsp] Cisco's new 4500-X 10G Aggregation Switches

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Feb 10 15:13:59 EST 2012

On 2012-02-10 21:07, harbor235 wrote:

> I am sure it will do V6, but is the hardware optimized for V6?

You can check the data sheet for Sup7E. It has space to
handle 256k of IPv4, or 128k of IPv6 in TCAMs, and Sachin
already shown versions available at launch with FIB carved to
64k or 256k (for IPv4, IPv6 is half of that) depending on the
version.

> V6 hardware forwarding and TCAMs able to handle the tens of
 > millions of routes expected.

Right. Enterprise aggregation switch. Show me one that has
this scalability today, or put this in other way - show me
a need to have such scalability in this specific place in the
network.

> Perhaps there will be incremental updates so they can soak us
> thoroughly

No, the TCAMs are fixed. You can expect TCAM scalability
upgrades on modular devices, that have the forwarding
card removable. Like it was with the PFCs for 6500.

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net