[c-nsp] high CPU usage when coyping to flash

Jiri Prochazka jiri.prochazka at superhosting.cz
Sun Feb 26 03:43:18 EST 2012

Hi,

I've came to a strange behaviour on 4900M. When trying to copy a new IOS
to flash, CPU utilization rises from usual 15% to 100%, even ssh stops
answering, some ports are being disabled due to UDLD error, some were
unbundled from etherchannels because of LACP-PDU not being generated.

The switch is just absolutely overloaded which cause a lot of issues. I
did not want to believe simple 'copy tftp:// bootflash:' could cause
this so I tried it once more, with the same result.

I am now trying to figure it in a lab, but it seems I am in a dead end.

I tried in on 4948E, 4900M, different IOSes (12.2(54)SG1, 15.0(2)SG1,
15.0(2)SG3).

I tried to use tftp, scp, http, all with the same result of 100% CPU usage.

I am not concerned about the high cpu usage itself, but I do absoltely
do not understand why it effectively stops the rest of the switch to
work properly..

Thank you for your advice.

--

Jiri Prochazka