[c-nsp] MPLS L2VPN issues I'm seeing

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Thu Jun 14 17:38:56 EDT 2012

Hi all, please see the email I sent to the team I work with...please provide
any suggestions if you have any.  This is strange.  Also, as background, I
have a pre-existing vlan 312 that has single static ip addresses given/sold
to customers.  But I now want to break up my bridging environment for vlan
312 into smaller enclaves.  We are putting a mpls edge (pe's are me3600x or
asr9k) at these smaller areas.  But I have to solve how to migrate those
customers that have those static ip's over my new mpls network.  L2VPN
seemed to be the logical pick..and so you understand, I tested and
envisioned that L2VPN being hauled back to my pe's at the hub site and 1q
trunk them back into my legacy network's 7609's where they will be bridged
into that pre-existing vlan 312.  So that's the idea.

Aaron

----------------------------

This is the email I sent my collegues..

Until more can be understood about why I'm seeing the strange things I'm
seeing with the L2VPN on ME3600x's, I've shutdown all vlan 12 svi interfaces
on ME3600's (sites 1, 2 and 3). I don't see how we can throw FTTH singe
statics until we can find a way to solve either from a routing perspective
how to break-up host routes via perhaps the newer L3VPN's or solve the
issues* with L2VPN to maintain the real sense of the single static subnet
and support it via a typical bcast domain.

*issues i'm seeing are a couple....

1 - Worked for a few hours today with Cisco TAC.....L2VPN in site 1 seems to
be causing a mac flap issue seen in bridge tables from asr9k's, 7609's,
occam 6450's vpt's and vps's Ring 3, and all the way into the 4500/3750 ring
containing site 2, 3 and others there. Once L2VPN is shutdown to Site 1
ME3600, BAM, mac flap stops!

2 - Worked for a few hours last night during maintenance window to determine
why L2VPN to ME3600 in Site 2 caused a meltdown in pre-existing FTTH VLAN
312. Interestingly, when you first bring down L2VPN to Site 1 ME3600, then
Site 2 works fine. Same for Site 3. In other words, no two L2VPN spoke sites
can be up simultaneously or melt-down in FTTH VLAN 312 occurs. TAC believes
it to be a forwarding loop back in the legacy network or OLT's somewhere. He
said he'll need another one or few maint windows to ascertain problem and
fix...and would like someone with OLT (C7, etc) to be on-line during call.
Tentatively planned for Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Please share ideas and thoughts you might have on how to overcome.