[c-nsp] Recommended IPv6 Resources

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 14:35:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

> I'm dipping my toe into the world of IPv6 and I'm looking for
> recommendations on resources - books, design guides, white papers,
> tutorials etc.

there are a few IPv6 books out there - from the cisco offerings
to third party and usual stalwart publishers. they should get you well versed
on the subject.

yes, address space is bigger - but its the other things that will get you ..
uses multicast to do everything, ICMPv6 is very very important for operation
of hosts, SLAAC is the 'easy way' to get addresses from the router - your DHCP
server may well not do DHCPv6 (and if it does, the clients probably dont! ;-) )
so how do you record/manage hosts? what about reverse records - you going to have
65k of entries for each /64 that you deal with?

ACLs and switch behaviour - and what about end point protection - theres a good layer
of ipv4 protection on particualr cisco access layer switches now - but the ipv6 is
lacking.  likewise management - its a big big shame that cisco havent gone full-on
with mgmt in IPv6 - theres no reason why the mgmt of your switches/APs etc cant all be in IPv6
and you have no IPv4 on those nets....but no..  latest IOS has some mgmt
functions that work over IPv6.. not bad considering how long v6 has been around before.

my take home message? you can leanr a WHOLE LOT more about it by having a dev/test router,
a couple of VLANs and home hosts (oh, be sure to tick the IPv6 box in VMware if
you are virtualised with it ;-) )

alan