[c-nsp] Cisco Border Router Recommendation?

James Paussa lists at puzza.org
Wed Mar 14 03:44:46 EDT 2012

Hi,
I have been looking at the ASR1001 but am concerned about the number of
routes it supports. The product docs I have found show the router
supports 1,000,000 IPv4 or 1,000,000 IPv6 routes (1). From what I have
read on here there are only 512k IPv4 or 128k IPv6 routes supported in
the FIB and no one is 100% sure how it will behave when this is exhausted.

So my question is twofold.
Is the realistic lifespan at the current expansion of prefixes (we are
currently seeing just under 400k IPv4 routes from our upstreams and
around 8k of IPv6) of the ASR1001 (my guess is about a year)?
Secondly, what would be the best path to go given I would be looking for
something able to support at least 1 million routes in the FIB. It
wouldn't require LNS or LAC functionality and be required to support
around 3 full BGP feeds. The forwarding rate would need to be around
500mbit moving towards 2 gigabit.

Regards,
James.

1.