[c-nsp] Question for LACP/LAG gurus

Nick Ryce Nick.Ryce at lumison.net
Wed Mar 14 07:27:01 EDT 2012

Im in the same situation as below, trying to get a LACP working between Extreme and an ASR 9k.  Does anyone have a workaround for this rather than resetting the system id of the Extreme kit?

Nick

> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:49:24 +0300

> Subject: [c-nsp] Question for LACP/LAG gurus

> Hello!

> While building several new LAGs on IOS XR I found strange behaviour of

> Cisco IOSes for "system priority" LACP parameter. Most of classic IOSes

> allow to set value from 0 to 65535, but IOS XR does not:

> 12.2(55)SE2 Switch(config)#lacp system-priority ?

>  <0-65535>  Priority value

> 12.2(54)SG Switch(config)#lacp system-priority ?

>  <0-65535>  Priority value

> 12.2(33)SRE Router(config)#lacp system-priority ?

>  <0-65535>  Priority value

> IOS XE 12.2(33)XNF2 Router(config)#lacp system-priority ?

>  <0-65535>  Priority value

> IOS XR 4.0.1 Router(config)#lacp system priority ?

>  <1-65535>  Priority for this system. Lower value is higher priority.

> Moreover, IOS XR does not form the LAG if received partner system priority

> is zero.

> In this case each bundle port shows the error message "Partner System

> ID/Key

> do not match that of the Selected links" and remain "configured" state.

> It would remain a theoretical nuance, but Extreme Networks switches

> advertise

> priority=0 by default on all LAGs cousing some troubles in setup.

> Interesting

> fact thats in the same time zero is invalid value in Extreme switch

> configuration  :) :)

> Extreme# configure sharing 7 lacp system-priority ?

>  <system_priority>  System Priority (1..65535)

> I take a short look inside IEEE 802.1AX-2008 standart and IEEE 802.3-2005

> clause 43

> and does not see any special case for priority=0.  Does anybody in the list

> familar

> enough with LACP to explain me why Cisco IOS XR does not like zero here?

> Thanks

> --

> Dmitry Kiselev

Nick Ryce
Senior Network Engineer
Pulsant Limited
T: 0845 119 9900
DDI: +44 131 5144049
W: www.pulsant.co.uk<https://nbg01-exch-01.lumison.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=3d7cd71066064370b0210c73169f0074&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pulsant.co.uk>

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted. Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Pulsant.
presence of viruses. Pulsant accept no liability for any