[c-nsp] Cisco 6500/Sup32 Sub-interface MTU Issue

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Mar 18 13:53:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 02:09:48PM +0000, Markus Binder wrote:
> thank you for your quick response.
>
> > Curse, spit, split the link into "big-mtu" and "small-mtu" VLANs.
>
> But this doesn't help, as we need to transport the "smaller" 1500 MTU Vlan via Xconnect somewhere else and Xconnect is not supported on Sup32 SVIs.

Of course this helps.

Have gige2/3 with MTU 9216, and put your core-facing VLANs there.

Have gige2/4 with MTU 1500, and put your incoming customer VLANs there,
with the EoMPLS xconnects on gige2/4.1234

Of course this sucks, as you need twice the number of ports on both ends.

(Or just live with a bigger MTU on the EoMPLS xconnects - it does not
hurt to have a bigger MTU there, if the gear on the other end supports
it.  As long as the incoming frames are no larger than 1500, it really
doesn't matter what the xconnect MTU is set to [greater or equal to 1500,
of course]).

> We don't do IP just there on the Access Box.

This much I understood.  It would be an alternative option, though...

> Any idea which "fair priced" GigE WAN Card would be suitable supporting Xconnect on SVIs on SUP32 as OSMs are not supported on this platform.

I don't think any WAN card (ES/ES+) will work with a Sup32 (no fabric).  But
I might be mistaken.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de