[c-nsp] Wireless Controllers, SVIs and WCCP

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Wed Nov 14 22:49:59 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Andrew Jones <Andrew.Jones at alphawest.com.au
> wrote:

> New HA configuration for WLC v7 is good, gives you active / standby
> controllers, so no need for AP to re-associate to alternate controller. Im
> told its 1-2 sec failover between controller.
>
> Also, you don't need to double up on licensing for your AP, ie 500 ap
> license plus a HA license is all that is required for 2 controller and 500
> ap.
>
> 4500 has vss on the roadmap, not sure how far away. For MPLS, your best
> bet is 6500. Or if you want nexus, try the 7004.

Thanks for all the feedback! Will definitely be looking at the WLC failover
option.

After a bit more research discovered that the Nexus 5500s only support 25K
MAC addresses - and the ASR 1004s are VERY expensive so this option falls
away.

I had a look at the Nexus 7004 and they are about 40% more expensive than a
similar 6500 solution - but 2 line cards are probably a bit too limiting. I
am also a fearful of the WCCP implementation on the Nexuses. I read during
my research that they have recently fixed a lot of bugs in this area, but I
don't know how many still exist.

I am still waiting on the VSS support for the 4500s, but it looks like the
first version won't be available until the start of next year - and I don't
really want to use bleeding edge software for this application.

So it looks as if I am left with the 6500 VSS Sup2T solution with plenty of
room to add more line cards. The 6500s are a really great work horse. :)

Best regards

Andrew