[c-nsp] Possible to talk ospfv3 with auth or encryption to Brocade?

Nathanael Law Nathanael.Law at aimco.alberta.ca
Thu Apr 18 12:06:15 EDT 2013

Hi David,

Brocade's documentation is somewhat lacking in this area, and in some places very poorly worded.

E.g., in table 214 of http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NI_05400a_CFG/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#context=NI_ConfigGuide_Netfiles&file=OSPF_Version_3.60.5.html, Brocade states, "authentication algorithm (currently ESP only), encryption algorithm (currently SHA1 only)".  However, SHA1 is not an encryption algorithm; it's a hash algorithm used for authentication.

It would be nice if Brocade actually stated this properly, at least somewhere in the document:
 - IPsec protocols:               ESP       (i.e., no AH support)
 - ESP encryption algorithms:     null      (i.e., no AES, 3DES, DES support)
 - ESP authentication algorithms: SHA1      (i.e., no MD5 support)

Cisco (at least in IOS 15.0(2)SE1) supports the following:
 - IPsec protocols:               AH, ESP
 - AH authentication algorithms:  MD5, SHA1
 - ESP encryption algorithms:     null, DES, 3DES, AES (128, 192, 256-bit)
 - ESP authentication algorithms: MD5, SHA1

Thus, the only overlap is: ESP-null-SHA1.  It's been a while since I've had my hands on a Brocade device, but the following should work, or at least point you toward a working solution.

On the Brocade:
interface ethernet1/1/1
  ipv6 ospf authentication ipsec spi NNNN esp sha1 0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef01234567

On the Cisco:
interface gi1/0/1
  ipv6 ospf encryption ipsec spi NNNN esp null sha1 0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef01234567

In IOS, "ipv6 ospf authentication" uses AH and "ipv6 ospf encryption" uses ESP.

Best regards,

Nathanael Law