[c-nsp] Netflow collector location

Mick O'Rourke mkorourke at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 00:59:02 EDT 2013

What are you doing with the data?

In past roles we've had central collectors 400ms away from exports (UK) as
the data was only for support\ease of troubleshooting purposes. The data
was classified\tagged\queued etc in a particular way to travel  across the
WAN along with voice and other business critical traffic.

In another role we had our collectors local to each major location, latency
wasn't the primary consideration yet data centre isolation, volume of flows
and ~'real time' automated traffic analysis were\are. Then utilising
something along the lines of rsync, data was moved - as opposed to
replicated eg via a samplicate - to where our flow\billing integration code
needed it.