[c-nsp] Netflow collector location

CiscoNSP List cisconsp_list at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 20 02:10:07 EDT 2013

Hi,
Thanks for the reply - data is used for billing (So it is critical)....hence my concern with lost flows.

From: mkorourke at gmail.com
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:59:02 +1000
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Netflow collector location
To: cisconsp_list at hotmail.com
CC: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net

What are you doing with the data?
In past roles we've had central collectors 400ms away from exports (UK) as the data was only for support\ease of troubleshooting purposes. The data was classified\tagged\queued etc in a particular way to travel  across the WAN along with voice and other business critical traffic.

In another role we had our collectors local to each major location, latency wasn't the primary consideration yet data centre isolation, volume of flows and ~'real time' automated traffic analysis were\are. Then utilising something along the lines of rsync, data was moved - as opposed to replicated eg via a samplicate - to where our flow\billing integration code needed it.