[c-nsp] ipsla - latency - related to cellular backhaul

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 10:16:13 EDT 2013

You are correct. The ICMP Echo Reply would be generated by the LC CPU on a
GSR. The CPU is slower, and yes there could still be non-deterministic
jitter, you sill are not going through the OS scheduler on the RP CPU like
you would on any other box.

For the ASR1k, the CPU is on the RP and the forwarding process is the ESP.
The Echo Reply is handled by one of the cores on the ESP. These cores are
also responsible for normal packet processing, so you'll see significantly
less jitter in this case.