[c-nsp] PPPOE intermittently fails to respond to PPP keepalives on 7204xvr with 12.4(24)T5

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Aug 22 18:02:36 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 07:45:01PM -0400, Robert Blayzor wrote:

> I don't believe this is right.  The BRAS should be sending the
> keepalives and the client should be answering.  At least your
> virtual-template should have a default keepalive of 10 seconds.

PPP allows both endpoints to send keepalives and expect a response.
Implementations tend to offer setting the timeout or suppressing the
keepalive in case packets are beeing received.

As the ISPs end is mostly interested to detect a link fail typically
the BRASes will send keepalives but not necessarily.

> You can try increasing this keepalive to 20-30 seconds and see if
> things improve; but unlikely.  The big problem with increasing the
> keepalive value is the time it takes the router to detect dead PPP
> sessions and frees the session and any IP pool address associated with
> it.

Flo