[c-nsp] IRR Tool

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Wed Feb 27 09:43:06 EST 2013

On 2013-02-27, at 3:46 AM, Ahmed Hilmy <hilmy.aa at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for how can i implement a Routing Registry server in our
> network to be updated regularly from RADB that mirrors almost all the
> Routing registries (www.irr.net)

Why not just query one of the many registries already established?  The big ones (RIPE, ARIN, RADB, etc) all mirror one another anyway.

> and build the appropriate IP prefix-list
> and IP as-path access-list ( BGP session settings ) and forward it to the
> appropriate access router.

This is fine if you have lots of downstream BGP customers, otherwise, it probably wouldn't add much value for you.

> -              RIPE database should be updated ( Each prefix should has a
> rout-object in RIPE database and Originator of this prefix should be a
> member in my AS-SET

Yes, you should certainly keep your own objects up to date in one of these registries.

> -              Deploy a Routing Registry server that gets update regularly
> from RADB

... Or see my first point above.

> -              Connect Routing Registry server to our router for updating
> our filters automatically.

It doesn't actually work that way. You need to run an IRR toolset against a registry then upload the resulting prefix lists to your routers; usually via TFTP (but I'm sure NETCONF/XML/Expect would also suffice).

> Once we apply this feature, I will never notify my UP Links for any prefix
> to be advertise.

Once you publish your own RPSL objects in one of the registries, your upstreams will generate/update their filter based on your objects.  Not all providers, however, use IRR data to build filters.  Some do no filtering at all, others require manual emails where you would request that they update their filters whenever you or one of your downstream customers announces a new prefix.

> Would you please clarify these points or add your comments.

Hope that helps.