[c-nsp] Difference between ISIS NSR and ISIS NSF Cisco-Style

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jan 30 06:58:01 EST 2013

>I have a one more query with HA mode . can we configure both NSR and NSF
>together , and if so during switchover which one is triggered first NSR
>or NSF .

you can either configure "nsf cisco" or "nsf ietf" in ISIS, so one or the
other. The only "common" thing is that a router configured with "nsf
cisco" will still able to help a restarting "nsf ietf" router to perform
its graceful restart, so the "nsf cisco" box will also advertise IETF-GR
capability in the IIH..

>I have two reasons for going into this deployement approch.
>
>1> If someof my neighbour is not NSF capable or by mistake NSF gracefull
>config is not enabled or removed from any neighbour.NSR will take care
>for those neighbours.
>
>2> During testing on CRS with scalability figures ,after switchover  it
>was taking 4 mins of time to fully sync all the routing information with
>standby and if there is one more switchover during that time span , NSF
>can take care.
>
>What do you suggest as best practice deployements for NSR/NSF considering
>above two points.

As said, you can't enable both, one or the other. So you can't address
both concerns, and need to evaluate which one you care more about. I would
argue that the 2nd one is more of a corner case, and would advocate "nsf
cisco" to be independent from any neighbour NSF capability support..

	oli