[c-nsp] Cisco 6500 mounting with cables

quinn snyder snyderq at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 16:34:40 EDT 2013

On Jul 21, 2013, at 13:00, "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, Jon Lewis wrote:
>
>>> "This solution connects Cisco Catalyst 6800ia access switches to Cisco
>>> Catalyst 6500 or 6800 Series core switches. The entire configuration works
>>> as a single extended switch with a single management domain."
>>
>> That must be pissing off the Nexus unit.
>
> I thought the same thing when Cisco rolled out the 6800s about a month ago.  I saw a lot of features that looked like they were put in specifically to poach prospective Nexus customers.

i think its just a natural evolution of where cisco is trending.
yes -- some of the ia features resemble the n2k functionality -- but there are additional enhancements that make ia more of a campus tool -- rather than the d/c.

i think you'll being to see futher enhancements to the platforms (c6k, nexus) that will start to draw clear lines between the positioning or 'general use case'. catalyst will continue to be the campus platform, while nexus will be for the d/c. there may be similar products from each line (ia vs. fex; c4k-x vs. n5k, etc). this will continue to grow as new nexus linecards/platforms/architectures are put out in the wild.

q.

-= sent via ipad. please excuse brevity, spelling, and grammar =-