[c-nsp] IOS XR and router rib rump always-replicate

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 6 02:26:51 EST 2013

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Mattias Gyllenvarg wrote:

> About that, Oliver, is multicast-BGP production ready in IOS ans IOS XR.
> Specifically ASR9k, 7606 Sup720, ME3600X and 3560/3750?

People have been running multicast on XR (ASR9K) and 7600 since "forever".
I'd be more worried about ME3600X and 3560/3750, but at least on the
3560/3750 they're mature platforms so I'd imagine it works there as well.

> Whould be nice too remove PIM from the core, just as Gert says limited use
> = limited support.

How is multicast supposed to work without PIM?

What Gert was talking about was "Internet" multicast, ie multicast between
ISPs. Watching NASA multicast streams for instance (I did this at my
university in ~1995). Very few commercial ISPs support this.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se