[c-nsp] Third party transceivers that fail only with new, NX-OS 6.2.2a on sup-2E

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 03:31:35 EST 2013

On 19/11/13 22:51, Tim Durack wrote:
> Second that. The more people buy 3rd party (coded if you want) the better.
> Vendors only listen to sales.

In fact I would go further. Mandate that the device interoperate with
3rd party optics in your procurement, and have the suppler sign a
contact. Enforce that contract. Don't buy from vendors who won't do it.
This is what we do (and in fact, did in our N7k procurement!)

For current gen equipment which is still locked, start buying
transceivers from vendors who blow "CISCO" into the EEPROM, and tell
your account manager you'll be doing it, and that you won't buy one more
transceiver from them.

Optics locking is outright anti-competitive behaviour, and I wish one of
the various regulators would step on it, hard. Unless and until that
happens, we need to discourage it.

Anyone who surrenders and buys the vendor optics is doing themselves and
everyone else a huge disservice. Fight it, hard, or we'll still be
having the conversation 10 years from now!

Regards,
Phil