[c-nsp] Data Center Core Switches

madunix at gmail.com madunix at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 11:45:57 EST 2013

Dear Experts,

I am in the process to acquire and implement network infrastructure
solution by upgrading the Data Center Core Switches with a very high
forwarding rate at least 500 Mpps and above, by using the following
(TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION)

1. Modular Switch with Minimum 8 slots

2. Minimum switching capacity per slot 200Gbps

3. Switching capacity for chassis minimum 5Tbps

4. All major components including but not limited to control plane and
power supply should be redundant where failure in one component will not
cause any
failure.

5. The switch must support virtualization where 2 switches can act as one
switch eliminating need for spanning tree.

6. Energy saving (power consumption to be provided)

7. Supports for the following:
a. VRRP
b. NSR: Non-Stop Routing and Non-Stop Forwarding.
c. Stateful or Graceful Switchover. Or equivalent.
d. BFD bidirectional Forwarding Detection
e. Hot Swappable modules.

8. The vendor should provide all licenses to support IPv4 and IPv6 full
features.

9. Non-blocking, 1 and 10GE design

10. Support at least 500 Mpps

11. 10GE wire speed to provide adequate support for future collaboration
applications (video, voice and high bandwidth apps)

12. Future support of 40 and 100 GE

13. The Switch should support, but not be limited to the following Layer3
Protocols:
a. Static IP routing
b. Routing Information Protocol (RIP) and RIP2
c. Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
d. BGP

14. The switch must support IP multicast protocols
a. IGMP v1, v2, and v3
b. IGMP Snooping
c. PIM-SM, PIM DM, PIM-SSM

15. The switch should support the following features at a minimum:
a. Spanning Tree 802.1D, 802.1s, 802.1w
b. 802.1X single and multi-supplicant: VLAN and ACL assignment
c. DHCP Snooping, IP source guard
d. LLDP, LLDP-MED
e. 802.3ad
f. Must support Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) in hardware to enable
VPN services within the campus.
g. SNMP Support v1,2,3

The above spec could apply to juniper, cisco, hp, xtreme ...etc, any
recommendation should I add/adjust to my  TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

-mad