[c-nsp] ASR1001 RAM

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Tue Aug 12 14:50:50 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Chuck Church wrote:

> That seems crazy that 4GB can't support a full table.  I know the ASR halves
> it's memory to support SW redundancy, but still.  You don't have SSO
> configured on the ASR do you?  I saw that that split the memory in half once
> again.  Not at all necessary on a 1001.
<snipp/>

There was a lot of talk on asr1001 ram about a year ago on this list.

If I remember correctly whatever amount of physical memory you have in
the box the IOS process gets exactly half of it with the other half
being dedicated to other processes running alongside the single ios
process.

So even without the IOS redundancy feature this gets you down to 2 GB
for your IOS process on a 4 GB box.

There was even less ram visibile inside the IOS process and routes
and such seemed to take much more memory than on classic ios boxes.

So the box was quite full with 2 full ipv4 bgp feeds.

The boxes in question have since been upgraded to 16GB with third party
memory and everything is fine now.

Regular experience just does not apply to this box. It just looks
similar but is totally different under the hood.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2