[c-nsp] 6500 HSRP unicast flooding

Randy amps at djlab.com
Tue Feb 18 21:38:05 EST 2014

On 02/18/2014 7:55 pm, John Kougoulos wrote:

> I don't know if copp would prevent the switch from putting the address in the mac table. However, you could do a clear arp on core2 and see if the specific mac is learned and then see how long it stays in the table.
>
> If you restore the mac aging time to default but change the arp timeout on the SVIs to 5 minutes does it behave better?

Exactly four hours after I increased the MAC aging time to 14400, the
flooding stops. Before it was nearly 20kpps:

core2#sh int g4/46 | i rate
 Queueing strategy: fifo
 30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
 30 second output rate 70000 bits/sec, 84 packets/sec

Still confused why it took that long to start properly learning.

--
~Randy