[c-nsp] Cisco 4900M and Layer2 Broadcasts

Ivan cisco-nsp at itpro.co.nz
Mon Jun 30 16:21:26 EDT 2014

Hi Chris,

The traffic is some kind of state replication mechanism between to
geographically diverse appliances.  My guess is that the appliances are
sending layer 3 headers inside layer 2 broadcast over the HA vlan.

Someone asked out the config - can't get much more simpler.  Also
remember is working fine for IPv6.

Ingress port:

interface GigabitEthernet2/13
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 327
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport nonegotiate
  mtu 9198
  load-interval 30
  flowcontrol receive off
  flowcontrol send off
  no cdp enable
  spanning-tree portfast trunk
  spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

Egress port (same device for testing):

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/7
  switchport access vlan 327
  switchport trunk allowed vlan none
  switchport mode access
  switchport nonegotiate
  mtu 9198
  load-interval 30
  flowcontrol receive off
  flowcontrol send off
  no cdp enable

Also the counters someone was suggesting looking at;

AKNNR-ISP-SW1#show int counters detail | in 2/13|Port
Port                     InBytes       InUcastPkts      InMcastPkts
   InBcastPkts
Gi2/13              222183306824                 0                0
    2114072064
Port                    OutBytes      OutUcastPkts     OutMcastPkts
  OutBcastPkts
Gi2/13                 682063116                 0            61300
       5592900
Port                   InPkts 64        OutPkts 64    InPkts 65-127
OutPkts 65-127
Gi2/13                         0                 1       2106943835
       5103190
Port              InPkts 128-255   OutPkts 128-255   InPkts 256-511
OutPkts 256-511
Gi2/13                   7128226            551009                0
             0
Port             InPkts 512-1023  OutPkts 512-1023
Gi2/13                         0                 0
Port            InPkts 1024-1518 OutPkts 1024-1518 InPkts 1519-1548
OutPkts 1519-1548
Gi2/13                         0                 0                0
             0
Port            InPkts 1549-9216 OutPkts 1549-9216
Gi2/13                         0                 0
Port            Tx-Bytes-Queue-1  Tx-Bytes-Queue-2 Tx-Bytes-Queue-3
Tx-Bytes-Queue-4
Gi2/13                   4413448                 0                0
             0
Port            Tx-Bytes-Queue-5  Tx-Bytes-Queue-6 Tx-Bytes-Queue-7
Tx-Bytes-Queue-8
Gi2/13                         0                 0                0
     677643104
Port            Tx-Drops-Queue-1  Tx-Drops-Queue-2 Tx-Drops-Queue-3
Tx-Drops-Queue-4
Gi2/13                         0                 0                0
             0
Port            Tx-Drops-Queue-5  Tx-Drops-Queue-6 Tx-Drops-Queue-7
Tx-Drops-Queue-8
Gi2/13                         0                 0                0
             0
Port            Dbl-Drops-Queue-1 Dbl-Drops-Queue-2 Dbl-Drops-Queue-3
Dbl-Drops-Queue-4
Gi2/13                          0                 0                 0
               0
Port            Dbl-Drops-Queue-5 Dbl-Drops-Queue-6 Dbl-Drops-Queue-7
Dbl-Drops-Queue-8
Gi2/13                          0                 0                 0
               0
Port              Rx-No-Pkt-Buff     RxPauseFrames    TxPauseFrames
PauseFramesDrop
Gi2/13                         0                 0                0
             0
Port            UnsupOpcodePause
Gi2/13                         0

Have logged a support case so hopefully can report back more soon.

Thanks

Ivan