[c-nsp] Cisco ME3800X with EIGRP

steve at itps.uk.net steve at itps.uk.net
Sun Mar 9 18:00:57 EDT 2014

Hi NSP,

Is anyone familiar with the 3800X and why we are unable to configure EIGRP
for IPv6 even though its clearly stated in the configuration guide as
available?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/r
elease/15-3_1_S/configuration/guide/3800x3600xscg/swipv6.html#wp1117377

We are a cisco only shop and prefer to use EIGRP to distribute our loopbacks
and backbone links and we've came across this issue while trying to dual
stack.

I suspect this is an error in the document as the commands simply aren't
there, if so - anyone got any inside info on if cisco plan to support eigrp
for IPv6 on their own switch anytime soon!?

Just found a section that states there's plenty missing for IPv6 with these
switches - can anyone elaborate why cisco isn't putting the features into
this switch, this has been excellent for us as ipv4 mini-pe.

Unsupported IPv6 Unicast Routing Features
.IPv6 policy-based routing
.IPv6 virtual private network (VPN) routing and forwarding (VRF) table
support
.IPv6 packets destined to site-local addresses
.Tunneling protocols, such as IPv4-to-IPv6 or IPv6-to-IPv4
.The switch as a tunnel endpoint supporting IPv4-to-IPv6 or IPv6-to-IPv4
tunneling protocols
.IPv6 unicast reverse-path forwarding
.IPv6 general prefixes
.HSRP for IPv6