[c-nsp] Cisco CMTS and ISC DHCP Strange Issue

Rupesh Basnet brupesh at subisu.net.np
Sat May 24 09:17:37 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

We have been using Cisco CMTS 7246 for about a decades. These days we
are facing some strange issue with CPE IP assigned by DHCP. We are using
ISC DHCP for both the modems and CPE. While I check modem searching for
the particular modem only then CPE taken is seen 0 but when I check cpe
with modem IP then I can see that customer CPE is taking IP address.
While checking on CMTS, the arp taken by CPE arp is also seen but no any
traffic are passing. If I bind the CPE mac and assign a IP then
everything gets to normal.

CMTS is configure to relay on two DHCP services running on fail over
mode and soure verification is done for all the addresses.

cmts2#show cable modem | in 814c
00e0.6f70.814c 10.28.114.242   C3/1/U0   online       157   0.00 1942 *0
*  N

cmts2#show cable modem 10.28.114.242 cpe
IP address        MAC address
*10.34.16.12      9061.0c15.2535 *

--
Regards,