[c-nsp] Basic BGP Cisco Router

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Mon May 26 03:07:13 EDT 2014

On 26/05/2014 4:39 PM, Andrew Miehs wrote:

> On 26 May 2014, at 3:58 pm, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>> If you're looking for something really modest, with little to no
>> opportunity for growth, consider the CSR1000v.
>
> Thats actually a pretty cool idea! I keep forgetting that the thing
> exists. Although - however, once I start looking at software routers,
> I really wonder whether it wouldn't be just as effective running a
> competing product or even open source....
>
> Will need to ponder on that....

Low end branch ISR G1/G2 routers are still for the most part software
routers anyway.  So it's not really any different in that regard - but
at least with the CSR you have the ability to vMotion it around within
VMware if there's an underlying hardware failure.

The advantage in the CSR is the IOS command line, vendor support and
ease of configuration access to complex features (try configuring and
debugging MPLS on a Gentoo or Fedora Linux box, for example...).  If
none of those things matter to you then by all means, an open source
product may be a better fit.

Reuben