[c-nsp] unicast IPv4 packets punted on Cisco 4500

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 06:03:23 EDT 2014

Lukas,

either I'm doing something wrong, but RSPAN VLAN trick this does not
work on WS-C4506(SUP WS-X4516-10GE). My physical topology can be seen
here: http://s17.postimg.org/nfh5vgoqn/loopback.png

Both Gi6/35 and Gi6/36 are up:

WS-C4506#sh int Gi6/35 status

Port      Name               Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type
Gi6/35                       connected    trunk        full    100
10/100/1000-TX
WS-C4506#sh int Gi6/36 status

Port      Name               Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type
Gi6/36                       connected    trunk        full    100
10/100/1000-TX
WS-C4506#

In addition, they have identical configuration:

WS-C4506#sh run int Gi6/35
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 209 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet6/35
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 555
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 555
 switchport mode trunk
 load-interval 30
 speed 100
 duplex full
end

WS-C4506#sh run int Gi6/36
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 209 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet6/36
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 555
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 555
 switchport mode trunk
 load-interval 30
 speed 100
 duplex full
end

WS-C4506#

..and VLAN 555 is configured as RSPAN VLAN:

!
vlan 555
 remote-span
!

While traffic from tester reaches Gi6/36, it's dropped by the switch
and Gi6/35 output traffic counters stay zero.

Gert,

Yes, in port Gi6/36 is a hardware-loop. I made a drawing which
describes my setup: http://s17.postimg.org/nfh5vgoqn/loopback.png
Ideally I would like to loop back traffic to tester without using an
external loopback connector(for example Cisco ASR's support this), but
I guess this is impossible on WS-C4506?

thanks,
Martin