[c-nsp] OT: Enterprise (Not ISP) Maintenance Windows

Jerry Kemp cisco.mail.list at oryx.cc
Sun Sep 28 17:17:08 EDT 2014

Every large company will have its own maintenance rules and maintenance windows
unique to their needs.  And most of them will suck.

The best maintenance window policy that I have ever seen at a company was about
15 years ago.   I was at a *large* oil company with offices all around the
world.  As such, there was no outage that wasn't going to affect someone somewhere.

With that in mind, maintenance could only be scheduled Monday thru Thursday,
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  No evenings, no weekends, no holidays.

Aside from the earlier point, the other driving factor was that if things got
out of hand, and we had to call for vendor support, they wanted for us to be
able to reach the "A team" at the vendor location who could provide the best
support.

Most vendors don't keep their top support personnel on site after normal
business hours.

Again, this was 15 years ago, I have no idea how things work there now.

to address your other issue for "3+ layers of meetings" and "buy off".   That
stuff gets proportionally worse typically the larger your organization is.

And as far as bad policies, rules and window times.   I bet half the people
subscribed to this list could write a book.

Jerry